Court FAQ

  • How do I get Certified copies of documents from the Clerk’s Office?

    You must request the copies in person or in writing and prepay a fee for copying and processing. The copy cost of the document you wish to have certified is 10 cents per page and $12.00 for each certification.

  • How do I get a copy of my discharge papers?

    You have several options-

    • Contact your attorney
    • Visit the clerk's office. The fee for copies is 10 cents per page.
    • You can make a request for copies by mail to:

    U.S. Bankruptcy Court
    Middle District of North Carolina
    Attn: Clerks Office
    P.O. Box 26100
    Greensboro, NC  27402-6100

    Please make sure your letter request includes your full name, case number, and the name of the documents you are requesting. Provide a self-addressed and postage-paid envelope large enough to return your requested documents. The fee for copies is 10 cents per page.

    • You can sign up for electronic access to case information. You can subscribe to PACER Service which will allow you access to all Bankruptcy case records and you will be able to print case documents yourself.  To receive more information about PACER Service you can visit the website: or telephone the PACER Service Center at (800) 676-6856 between the hours of 8:00am to 6:00pm Monday - Friday CST.
  • Can I use one of the attorneys passwords in my office to file electronically?

    To file documents electronically in Bankruptcy cases, an attorney or non-attorney creditor must obtain a login and password for electronic filing and viewing of documents in the system.

    A password may only be used by the Registrant to whom it is issued and by individuals authorized by the Registrant. A Registrant is responsible for all applicable charges associated with the use of the Registrant’s password. Any documents filed using the password will be deemed authorized and signed by the Registrant.

  • May I speak directly with a Bankruptcy Judge?

    No. Federal law prohibits any contact with the Judge outside the Courtroom in order to preserve the impartiality of the Court and to prevent the appearance of any impropriety or allegations of preferential treatment of any party.

  • Who can file bankruptcy?

    A person, partnership, corporation, or business trust may file a bankruptcy case. Corporations, partnerships and business trust cannot proceed if they are not represented by an attorney. Only an individual can proceed without an attorney.

  • Where can I get the Forms needed to File bankruptcy?

    The forms are available at the Bankruptcy Court and the U.S. Courts website. Local forms may be found on this court's website by clicking here.

  • What is the filing fee?
  • How do I get information about a case?

    There are several ways you can get information:

    • If you have access to a computer with internet access, you can get access to the Court’s electronic records through PACER by selecting the menu option "Case Info from the Court's website.
    • In order to use PACER, you must open a PACER account. You can do that by calling (800) 676-6856 or (210) 301-6440 to get a registration form.You may register online at
    • You may also come into the court and use the public service computers to view electronic records for no fee. See our website for Court Locations and Directions.
    • You can access the Voice Case Information System (VCIS) 24 hrs, 7 days a week by dialing (866) 222-8029 to obtain the most requested case information automatically. To access this system please follow the instructions on the VCIS information page.
  • Where do I file bankruptcy documents?

    You can mail or bring your document into the appropriate court. The court is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm except legal holidays.

    Please note that fees (and documents requiring fees) are not accepted after 4:30 pm.

    In Greensboro, you can file your document at this location:

    U.S. Bankruptcy Court
    Clerks Office
    101 S. Edgeworth St.
    Greensboro, NC  27401
    (336) 358-4000

    In Winston-Salem, you can file your document at this location:

    U.S. Bankruptcy Court
    Clerks Office
    601 W. 4th St.
    Winston-Salem, NC  27101
    (336) 397-7785

  • Do I need an attorney to file for bankruptcy?

    You may file a bankruptcy petition on your own if you are an individual, but not if you are a corporation or partnership. However, the relief available to you, the obligations imposed on you and the ramifications associated with the bankruptcy are extremely complex. It is difficult to have a successful bankruptcy case without the help of competent legal counsel.

    If you decide to file without an attorney, see the "Filing Without an Attorney" section on the U.S. Courts website.

    Please note that Court employees cannot provide legal advice.