Electronic Proofs of Claims FAQ

  • I need to amend a claim that was originally filed with the Chapter 13 Trustee’s office. When I check the box on the form to indicate the amendment, the claim number assigned to the original claim by the Trustee’s office does not appear in the box. What do

    All Chapter 13 claims filed before July 1, 2008, are on record in the Chapter 13 Trustee’s office but are not recorded on the Court’s claims registers. If you know the date your original claim was filed with the Trustee’s office, you may enter that information. If not, simply check the box to indicate the amendment. A new claim number will be assigned and the claims register will indicate that the claim is an amendment. The Trustee’s office will be able to reconcile the amendment with the claim on file in that office.

  • How will I know the treatment of my claim by the Chapter 13 Trustee?

    Check the website of the Chapter 13 Trustee assigned to the case or contact the Chapter 13 Trustee’s office. To access the Chapter 13 Trustee websites, go to www.13network.com and select the Trustee office assigned to the case. The Trustees are listed by state. Access to the individual websites requires a login and password. There are instructions on each office’s home page regarding web access. For the Middle District of North Carolina, you are able to access the three Trustee offices (Durham, Greensboro, Winston-Salem) using one login and password. The data available on the Trustee’s website is current as of the previous day.

  • If my claim has been paid, should I file a Withdrawal of Claim?

    No. A withdrawal of claim is typically filed when the claim was filed in error and there are no funds due the creditor from the estate. If you file a withdrawal of claim in a case where you have received distributions from the Trustee, the Trustee’s office will contact you regarding a refund of those funds.

  • At the time of filing my claim, I do not know the amount that is due. How do I enter “Unknown” in the amount for the claim?

    In the amount box, enter: unknown. Attach documentation to the claim explaining the reason that the amount is unknown. The amount on the B10 that is produced will state "unknown".

    Once you know the amount of the claim, file an amended claim.