ECF Technology Requirements
Below are the computer and technology-related requirements for electonic filing via the Electronic Case Filing (ECF) System for the Middle District of North Carolina.
- A personal computer running a standard platform such as Microsoft Windows or Macintosh (the system has not been completely tested or evaluated with UNIX/LINUX platforms)
- Word Processing Software (such as WordPerfect®, or Microsoft Word®)
- PDF Conversion Software (such as Adobe Acrobat®)
- Internet access (while high-speed internet access is not a requirement, it is highly recommended to better facilitate your filing needs)
- Web Browser - ECF has been successfully tested with Microsoft Internet Explorer® 5.5 and higher; and, Netscape 4.6x and 4.7x. (The Pay.gov filing fee service requires that you use Internet Explorer® 5.5 or higher. Filing fees cannot be paid online using Netscape web browser.)
- Scanning Equipment (the Court recommends a scanner with a document feeder as opposed to a flat-bed or single-sheet scanner)
- A Credit Card to pay filing fees online. The Court uses the Pay.gov filing fee service to facilitate collection of filing fees. Pay.gov accepts the following major credit cards: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Diners' Club.
- A PACER account to view documents. There is no cost to sign up for a PACER account. For more information on PACER, click here.